Commitment to Fighting Unfair Taxes and Fees
• “A” Rated and Endorsed by the Howard Jarvis Taxpayers Association because he opposed billions in new taxes.
• Lowered Property Taxes by $8.5 million by refinancing debt.
• Protected Prop 13 to Keep Property Taxes Down. Worked with a bipartisan group of legislators to protect Proposition 13 and prevent billions in property tax hikes. (SCA 1)
• Fighting for Homeowners. Carried legislation to increase the property tax exemption for homeowners from $7,000 to $25,000 as well as increase the renter’s tax credit from $120 to $428 (AB 1100).
• Opposed the $52 Billion Gas Tax Hike. Opposed and actively campaigned against the $52 billion gas and car tax hike that raised gas prices in California. (SB 1).
100% Rated by the California Police Chiefs Association
Tough on crime measures supported, authored or opposed by Assemblyman Chen include:
Help Prosecute Rapists. Authored legislation to address the backlog of untested rape kits so that suspected violent predators are kept behind bars (AB 280).
Protect Students from Predators. Supported mandatory background checks for school district vendors to protect students and teachers from harm (AB 949).
Opposed pre-trial release legislation that threatened to place dangerous predators in our neighborhoods (AB 42).
Give victims peace of mind by requiring parolees to maintain a distance of 35 miles from their victims. Source: (AB 355)
Fight Human Trafficking. Backed the Human Trafficking Prevention Education and Training Act to teach students how to recognize and avoid tactics used by sexual predators (AB 1227).
Voted to expand the crime of luring a minor for sexual purposes to include luring for the purpose of human trafficking involving a sex act. (AB 135)
Standing up for Victims. Protected victims of sexual crimes and give them peace of mind by requiring parolees to maintain a distance of 35 miles from their victims (AB 335).
Use More DNA Testing. Supports DNA testing of convicts to help police solve more crimes.
Improve Crime Prevention. Authored AB 517 to create a property crime task force to investigate the high property crime rate and increase prevention methods.
Demanding the Best Schools Possible
As an educator, Phillip knows the importance of improving our educational systems so our youth will be able to compete successfully for good-paying jobs.
On the school board, he worked with parents, teachers, administrators and school board members to provide a strong learning environment.
That’s why Walnut Valley Unified has repeatedly earned recognition as one of the highest academic performing districts in the state.
• Funding Career Tech. Co-authored AB 1743 to make the California Career Technical Education Incentive Grant Program permanent and funding it at $500 million per year to ensure students continue receiving the career education they need.
• Let Parents Chose the Best School. Authored AB 396 in 2017 to let parents choose the best school for their child.
• Make College More Affordable. Voted to increase the Middle Class Scholarship Award for students seeking a higher education (AB 129).
• Fix the Teacher Shortage. Supported legislation to address the teacher shortage in California by encouraging more college students to pursue a teaching career (AB 169).
A Small Business Owner to Create Better Jobs
As a small business Owner, Phillip has seen how high taxes and excessive regulations chase jobs to other states. He knows what it takes to improve California’s business climate and encourage small businesses create better paying jobs.
• Named 2017 “Legislator of the Year” by the Orange County Business Council for supporting efforts to make California more business friendly and reduce and streamline regulations to encourage new business and job creation.
Reduce Energy Costs
Mistakes made by our state’s political leaders have caused California to have the highest gas and energy costs in the nation.
This drives up costs for everything from gas to food to manufactured items.
It’s time we repeal misguided policies that have driven the cost of gas and electricity up.
Getting the Homeless Off the Street and Getting Them Help
• Supported the No Place Like Home Act of 2018 to provide vital services for those with mental illness, veterans, and poor families who do not have housing. (AB 1827)
• Supported the Emergency Homeless Aid. Supported SB 850 to establish the Homeless Emergency Aid program to provide local government with flexible block grants that they can use to solve their homeless problems.
• Getting Homeless Crime Victims Help. Supported AB 557 to provide shelter to homeless victims of domestic violence.
• Improving Mental Health Programs for the Homeless. Co-authored AB 1971 to better enable homeless mentally ill individuals to receive needed medical treatment to help them function better in society.
• Helping the Homeless Find Jobs. Supported the New Beginnings California program to help the homeless find jobs. (AB 344)
Cut Government Waste
When Phillip was first elected to the Walnut Valley Unified School District board, the district was broke and had received a negative budget certification.
It took tough leadership to stop the fiscal bleeding, balance the budget, build a rainy-day reserve and maintain some of the highest academic standards in the state.
• Using Audits to Find Corruption. Assemblyman Chen demanded an audit of the UC Regents after they wanted to raise tuition while the UC President kept a $174 million secret reserve, wasted tax dollars on travel and had a taxpayer-funded condo.
• Making the DMV More Efficient. Authored a request to audit the DMV which would have addressed the increase in wait times to process routine transactions including wait times for those with an appointment.
Making Health Care More Affordable
• Keeping Prescription Drug Prices Down. Backed the most comprehensive drug price transparency bill in the U.S., to force drug makers to publicly justify big price hikes. (SB 17)
• Fighting Breast Cancer. Supported AB 2342 to require health plans, health insurers, and the Dept. of Health Care Services to cover breast and ovarian cancer susceptibility screening.
Honoring Our Veterans
Phillip believes America’s heroes deserve the best services that state and local government can provide.
• Legal Advice for Veterans. Backed a measure requiring the California State Bar to provide free legal assistance to veterans and their families who otherwise cannot afford it. (AB 360).
• Lower Tuition Rates. Co-authored AB 172 to expand eligibility for Armed Service members’ families to qualify for in-state tuition.
• Service Dogs for Vets. Authored AB 3052 to create a tax credit to make it more affordable for a disabled veteran to own a service dog.
Protecting Senior Citizens
• Stopping Senior Scams. Hosted FREE Senior Scam Stopper events in the 55th Assembly District to teach elderly citizens how to protect themselves against devastating financial scams.
• Protecting Seniors from Elder Abuse. Voted to provide seniors with more protection from financial and elder abuse (AB 611).
Fighting Sexual Harassment
• Co-authored the “Legislative Employee Whistleblower Protection Act” to grant legislative employees protections against retaliation. (AB 403)
Stopping Scam Robo calls
• Taking on Robo Calls. Backed AB 1132 to prohibit telemarketers and scammers from impersonating the caller ID information of state or local governments.